We use a combination of TMDB and TVDB for TV show information. TMDB is used for the top level show info like title, year, genres, and country. It is also used for high quality posters, fanart, and episode screenshots. TVDB is used for all season and episode info and as a fall back for info missing on TMDB.
- Make sure the TV show exists on TMDB and TVDB with English information filled out.
- On TMDB, make sure the correct TVDB ID is entered in the external IDs section. This is important so we can import season and episode info from TVDB.
- On the Trakt.tv website, click the Import TV Show link in the footer.
- Type in the TVDB ID and click the Import button.
- There is no English translation.
- TMDB has a blank or invalid TVDB ID in the external IDs section.
- The TV show is a duplicate (usually indicated in the title) at TVDB.
Behind the scenes, here is what we do during a TV show import.
- All main English TV info is imported from TMDB. Any title aliases or translations are stored and used in searching.
- The highest rated poster and fanart are also imported from TMDB. 1080p (or larger) is preferred for fanart and we'll only use 720p if nothing better is available. If no image exists on TMDB, we import from TVDB with the same 1080p preference.
- All English season and episode info is imported from TVDB.
- The highest rated season posters are imported from TMDB. If no season poster exists, we import from TVDB.
- The highest rated episode screenshots are imported from TMDB since they support 1080p+ resolutions. If no screenshot exists on TMDB, we import from TVDB.
- Supporting TV show images such as logo, banner, thumb are imported from Fanart.tv. If the no banner exists, we import from TVDB.