Imitate IMDB's 'Movies Coming Soon' and email notifications when movies premier
(Originally posted on GetSatisfaction. https://getsatisfaction.com/trakt/topics/imitateimdbsmoviescomingsoonandemailnotificationswhenmoviespremier )
(Note that this might also apply to TV shows, at least the email notification part for new show/season premiers)
IMDB has a nice 'Coming Soon' page for movies:
What I do is sign in and add interesting movies to my IMDB watchlist. Then, IMDB emails me the day before a movie premiers. "Oh, Looper finally came out. Better make plans to see it," I say.
Thing is, I barely use IMDB for anything other than this purpose (and looking up movie trivia). Meanwhile, I have an extensive Trakt watchlist, sometimes including upcoming movies. So my request is three-fold:
1) Add a new page for upcoming movies, like http://trakt.tv/movies/comingsoon
2) Send out an email reminder whenever a watchlisted movie premiers (using the 'released' date, as on http://trakt.tv/movie/paranormal-acti... ). This might eventually evolve into a customized daily/weekly/monthly digest that also includes info about upcoming shows/new episodes and new Trakt features
3) Add a watchlist option, 'hide upcoming movies', for when you're looking for something to Netflix/rent/torrent/whatever. Note that some movies have a blank premier date, so you wouldn't want to hide those.
Calendar notifications via email are now available. Here’s a blog post with more details.
We are currently beta testing new VIP email notifications for your daily and weekly calendar. If you'd like to participate in the beta, please see https://trakt.tv/forums/new-features/topics/daily-weekly-calendar-emails for more details.
btw, I wrote my comment based on only movies but I mean movies and tv shows all together.
I am looking such feature for years but never founded one yet. Let me try to explain in detail:
A system should have upcoming movies with following:
* Upcoming Movies by Premier Date
* Upcoming Movies by DVD Release
* Upcoming Movies by User Configured Filters:
* Filter by favorite directors picked by user
* Filter by favorite actor/actress picked by user
* Probably not needed but some people dislike a specific director or actor and avoiding to watch this movie so above filter system can be based on like/dislike for movie people (director and/or actor so if a user likes a director, his filters will be listed based on his likes.)
Tracking a movie doesn't make sense if you don't know movie name. Yes that happens, people may not have spare time to follow their favorite directors and/or actors movies so they can not be aware of movie title itself. This is why I believe many people needs to have a tracking system based on their favorite directors, actors etc in addition to movie title itself.
I hope my above explanation is clear enough.
Here's a site with similar functionality:
The email digest could show your watchlisted items highlighted, and then a few more (the first three or five) most popular entries (based on watchlist count), with a link to the entire page (which would have filter options).
I like this idea a lot. The main question I have on the upcoming movies page is how to filter the crap releases coming out. Might just have to show everything for that week coming out regardless if its in the theater or direct to dvd. Maybe it could sort by popularity or number of watchlists its on.