How can we improve Trakt?

Improve PWA

I'm an Android user and I've often searched for native apps that integrate with Trakt but I always end up returning to the Trakt website itself because it offers more features, is more robust & also is quite quick.

For a better integration into the OS I always add the website to my homescreen to have the Chrome bar removed and have a separate entry in the Recents with the Trakt icon.

Now over the last few years/months Google has improved upon this simple add to home screen feature and offered "deeper" integration.

For example PWAs can show up in the app drawer (not just as a shortcut on the home screen).
PWAs get an own "App info" screen where we can manage notifications, permissions, storage among other settings.

A good example of this would be the Twitter's PWA.

Also the current Trakt web app shows a small Chrome icon in a corner which those other web app don't anymore.

I'm not exactly sure how these features can be activated but it should be fairly simple.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Felix Schröter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Felix Schröter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noticed that I already created a suggestion ("Web App / Offline Support") which includes some of my proposals here.
    Mostly regarding the use of a service worker for caching & notifications.

So, I guess this suggestion here should focus more on the initial PWA / "add to home screen" optimizations.

• Felix Schröter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just had a look at your service worker on https://trakt.tv/service_worker.js
    and it seems it basically does nothing:
    "console.log('I am a Service Worker!');"
    :D :D

So, here are some other areas where you could improve your web app:

- add (pre)caching to your service worker
    - it seems you (partially) use server-side scripting, not sure if/how well you can cache anything with this architecture (see idea below)
    - add push notifications

some more technical ideas:
    - move to an SPA w/ app shell architecture
    - w/ more strict differentiation between frontend & backend (this would help caching)

Feedback and Knowledge Base