How can we improve Trakt.tv?

Add field for quality?

I'd love to have a way to tell which quality of a given media I have, this is especially common when you download old (with copyright expired) medias from the web.

I think an extra field in metadata with approx 10 chars limit would be more than enough to address this.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Federico Zivolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) responded  · 

When adding to your collection, you can set the resolution. Is that what you’re looking for? I don’t envision adding a text field, but if you have suggestions for other metadata options, that might be something we can do.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) commented  · 

We can't change those to accept text, behind the scenes we have the specific set of allowed values and its not an open ended text field unfortunately.

• Federico Zivolo commented  · 

If the existing `media_type` field could allow custom text I think it would make sense to use the same, they are pretty similar as use cases, even if `media_type` seems a bit more "hardware" focused while my "quality" field is more "software" (how the media has been converted from its original media type to the digital version I have)

• AdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) commented  · 

The issue is we can't add another field for collection items, that would be actually quite a large task with how data is currently stored. We can add options to the existing metadata fields if it make sense and they are clear enough. What are some examples of the data options you'd like to use? Would they fit in with any of the existing metadata options?

• Federico Zivolo commented  · 

Hi, apart from the resolution, there are other factors that one has to take in consideration, especially when you download old medias from the web (like historical videos and stuff without copyright anyway), they will usually have a "quality" label that explains from where the video has been extracted.

If a text field is not possible I'd be okay with a simple numeric field so that I can then map each number to a specific media quality.

Feedback and Knowledge Base