How can we improve Trakt.tv?

TV shows on multiple TV networks

When a show is aired on multiple TV network, show each airing date on Upcoming schedule in the Dashboard.

I know the data is from thetvdb and their decision is to keep only the first TV network to air the first episode.

But it's currently a problem with the show "Top of the lake", (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_Lake ). Sundance was the first to air the first season and is considered as primary TV network, but for the second season, BBC as already aired the 6 episodes, and trakt shows the episodes as not aired and season premiere for September 11.

I'm sure it's not the only show where TV networks are collaboring and is aired on each TV networks and it would be nice to have airing date and time on each TV network.

Having multiple TV network could also be useful for searching/sorting by TV network

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon PireynSimon Pireyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin NemethAdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) commented  · 

FYI, I pushed an update so we can manually set per season Networks. For example, Black Mirror and Supergirl have this data now.

I looked into this a bit more and I think for step 1 we can start saving a per season Network. As I mentioned, this will require manual data entry on our side, but we can update it for the more popular shows or by new support tickets pretty easily. This will at least make the season and episode pages more accurately reflect the original network the show aired on.

The next step would be looking into the episode air dates themselves and see if there is an automated solution we can reliably implement.

I agree it is a good suggestion to use the first time it airs, even if it is across networks.

Currently, we don't store a network per season and TMDB/TVDB don't include that info either. Maybe we can start doing this, but have it would manual data entry.

As for the episode dates, I wonder if its reliable enough to use the earliest date between TVDB and TMDB. That might cause unforeseen issues if we just start doing that, but I'm not certain.

Feedback and Knowledge Base