How can we improve Trakt.tv?

Provide a Simplified Tracking Option

There should be an option in the settings menu that allows users to choose the tracking level they desire (for example, a dropdown list called "Tracking Level" with the options "basic", "standard" and "data nerd").

When a user sets their level to basic, they will not be required to record watch dates and can view their lists without any indication of the watch date. This will essentially simplify tracking to a watchlist, watched history, collected and rated. The only date visible could be a "date added" which simply indicates when you added it to a list in Trakt.

Reason for suggestion: When first signing up to Trakt and wanting to add a backlog of films and tv shows I have already watched to my history, the idea of entering the date that I watched them is pretty daunting and just defaulting to release date, although providing a quick option, then makes all of your statistics feel wrong and the way in which lists are sorted by watch date really plays on any glimmer of organisational "OCD" you may have. I want to take advantage of the features in Trakt to track all the things I have watched and all the things I want to and to be able to quickly add and move items around in these lists. Having access to show schedules and upcoming releases is also very handy, however I am reluctant to get stuck in as I feel like I can't get my history right. The dates have essentially provided a barrier for me to using the service regularly.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AaronAaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin NemethAdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) commented  · 

This is similar to some other suggestions in the past about not requiring a date when entering your watched data. It's not something we currently have planned since the entire site is largely based around dates. Without dates, it would change or make a lot of the stats not function with how they are setup.

I agree using "release date" is not a perfect option, but attaching no date would require an overhaul of how stats are presented throughout the entire website. We'd also need to figure out how to handle this via the Trakt API and the many apps that use that data. Long story short, we still would need a date attached at some level for the API to function correctly as well.

I know if doesn't fully solve your issue, but we currently have these features to help:

- choose a default watched action (new signups default to today's date)
        - release date can help approximate when you watched older items
        - hide the date breaks when viewing your watched history and other sections
        - sort your watched history by other non date related options

Feedback and Knowledge Base