Dashboard & Friends activity
One area where trakt currently is severely lacking is keeping up with your "network"/"friends". The number of people you can follow before the dashboard looses it's usefulness is probably a mere 3 users. Capping out at 12 recent items is quite harsh. A single casual user these days can probably nuke that feed in an evening alone (watching, collecting, commenting, lists, etc.). Going above that you can pretty much scratch that area of trakt. If you want to find out what certain people are enjoying you are forced to click on their profile AND "study"
their history (at least for TV data).
What could be improved / expanded:
- Filter options. However not just a single selector but checkboxes for the different types of interactions.
- Different display views including a text/icon list. (the current one is overloaded and not easy to read)
- Condensed user actions as I once suggested before V2 (http://support.trakt.tv/forums/188762-general/suggestions/3561062-condense-activities-dashboard).
- User independent views or data. Ex. most watched shows among friends in the last x-days, highest rated.
- Recent feed for each of the users (as an expanded view).
Was the feed this restricted since the beginning? I was certain it included other things as well but I honestly only ever glanced over it (maybe I only thought so because of the icons).
Sounds good if you get around it :)!
All good ideas. We need to re-architect some things behind the scenes in order to boost performance to do things related to your network activity.
Currently, only plays are shown in this area. It doesn't include collected items or anything else currently, which is part of the performance issues. In v1, there were way fewer users so all these actions could be queried direct against the database. We now have so many users that is needs to be cached in other ways as to avoid direct data access.
I really like the idea of user independent data, which could aggregate and give you very useful stuff. Things like over the past week, the most watched show and movie from your friends was X and Y. That would actually be very cool along with other stats too.
Before any of this though, we need to do some behind the scenes updates so the recent activity can be accessed quickly. It has been on my task list, so hopefully some time can open up in the near future to start planning those backend updates.
May I also suggest to make the inclusion of collection data optional. This adds a lot of non-substantial noise to it (an automatic action for many).