Calendar: A new style suggestion
Ever since the upgrade to TRAKT2.0 I have been missing one of the calendar styles that I loved in the old site, I can't remember what it was called exactly but it had just the right amount of info and the right amount of space usage that it fit perfectly with the huge amount of stuff I watch weekly.
So I made a custom CSS to one of the available styles to mimic that feel, and i've been using it for about *looks at the calendar* 14 months now, and it's working juuust fine (I actually can't remember how it looked before I messed with it). So now i'm proposing that style to be made official with some modifications to it and suggestions on how to make it better.
First, here's how it looks:
Here's the general idea of it:
- Cramming as much info as possible in as much little space as possible, thus giving you an overview of everything that is coming up without all the extra stuff that isn't as important
- The buttons are moved on top of the episode, as a mouesover thing
- Just the show's name + episode number
- Dimmed screenshots, I dunno why I added it but it feels better, more interactive, I think, also easier on the eyes. Doesn't interfere with the Fade filter, as that has a stronger transparency value.
Suggestions on how to make this better:
- starting with the dates, if you're going to make this compact, make that smaller as well. Instead of a big number and two three letters on two lines, it's just one line
- I understand the hover thing makes it unusable on mobile, so a long press should be a good alternative (or just marking this style Desktop Only)
- Episode titles on hover over episode number, also it should be the show's name then the episode number
- When more than 2 episodes of a show are dropping (ie: Netflix) show just the first 2, then add a button underneath it that says "Show 8 more" (should apply this to the dock as well, so my Calendar doesn't get oversized by Netflix crap. This probably should be a tickbox option outside of this style.
- VIP Ads should first try to slot themselves on empty days (I suppose saturday/friday on most people's calendars are empty) or the days that have significantly less epiosodes than the other days, before slotting themselves inbetween episodes.
aaaaand... that's it, I suppose.
I'm attaching right here my CSS stuff so you can see what I've done exactly, and for the other TRAKT users (at least, the ones who know how to make use of this) in case you don't like the proposition.
It's a bit wonky and rough on the edges, and CSS isn't even my strongest suit and I probably should supplemented it with some JS as well to work out the kinks but i'm too busy watching stuff to be arsed about the kinks. Also, i love half-assing things, it's like... my thing
The screenshot looks a lot better and cleaner than what the current grid layout actually offers.
I'd like that v1 styled view much better than what we have now.
AdminJustin Nemeth (Founder, trakt) commented
Thanks for the suggestion! I think some of it makes sense and some of it would break conventions a bit too much. The hover icons + dimmed screenshots might be a little confusing since that is different from all the other views. I'll plan to look into this more for a future update though and see if there is an opportunity for a new view.