it would be nice if the search/filter function was more sophisticated
1) regarding availability it would be nice if there was a generic flag "online" that filters all movies that are available on dvd or online anywhere, without needing to add hundreds of providers. this is nice if looking for a good movie with the only criteria that one can find it online (as opposed to available only in cinemas)
2) filter to exclude movies i have already watched (why suggest it again?)
3) possibility to exclude certain critera and include others in the same category. for example include "comedy" but exclude "family" (because i'm looking for something fun but not necessary a disney family movie)
4) sorting options, once the criteria are applied it would be nice if sorting by ratibng was available..
Please review the comments, there have been several updates made to address these issues.
I just pushed some search updates to improve the ordering. I am rebuilding the search index, which will take a few hours at least.
Exact matches will show up first in the results for all, movie, and show searches.
Edi, in regards to the layout, I would recommend choosing another layout such as logo or fanart since those have the text more clearly. Check https://blog.trakt.tv/calendars-23d2b4534066 for more info on that.
For VIP members, advanced filters have been updated to allow filtering on Trakt, IMDB (movie and show), Rotten Tomatoes (move only), and Metacritic (movie only) ratings.
Luis Magalhaes commented
It just shows the most popular items.
Example: If I search for the film "Cricle of Power" a lot of things appear but not the film. It's very random. Items with word circle appear, but not the movie that corresponds 100% to what I'm searching. It doesn't make any sense. This happens to every item that isn't popular, making it almost impossible to use Trakt for anything other than mainstream movies and tv shows
also it would be nice if recommendations were part of the movies/tv pages just like popular/trending/etc. at the moment they are a bit underexposed at the end of the dashboard, with no way to filter or expand upon the three suggestions...
1) "any service" seems to be working now. thanks
2) i figured how to use the "fade" filter so thanks
3) using the "-" in the url works fine for me. thanks!
4) in the movie/tv pages there is already a section for trending/popular/watched/collected/... which are basically sorting criteria. a "costum" section that allows for sorting by other criteria (date released, rating, etc) would be nice.
5) i think a "not interested" flag would be usefull. often some movies appear that you are just not interested in. i saw you refusing the idea here on the forums, but i did not quite understand why. I see that in the recommendations it's easy to ignore. but also while browsing popular/trendingt/etc sections it would be nice to be able to fade them out. just like with watched movies.
In my opinion, the sorting of the search results is wrong. First should be shown the movies/shows with exact (or almost exact) title match to the search term. Then the actors names, etc. And probably last the movies/shows that match the description.
The display of the results should always include the text (in a fixed position relative to the poster) with the title and year of production. Now you show this only if the poster is missing. This makes it very hard to quickly scan for the title you are looking.
And last, when you click on the search bar, you should at least highlight the old search term, so when you start to type, it disappears. If you don't want to disappear you just hit the arrow keys or the Home/End key on the keyboard. This is for me much more intuitive.
so what do you think?
thanks for the answers.
1) when i select filter "any service" all movies are shown, also the once available only in theaters. in fact nothing is filtered
2) on all pages (trending, most watched, popular, etc) often i'm browsing trakt for inspiration what to watch. Moana for example is something i'm simply not interested in, while the accountant i have allready watched, it would be nice if i could filter them from views (ah, forgot about the "not intersted" button in my original comment)
3) exactly. maybe when you select a genre it could have a green checkmark in front of it, when you click on it, it becomes red and barred to indicated that it is now excluded, while the x to the right removes it as it is right now.
4) to be honest i did not think about a specific page, actually the page names indicate an intrinsic sorting "sorted by most POPULAR" "most watched" "most trending" "most aniticiapted". maybe a new page altogether called search? that is focused on the filtering and then one can order how one likes (by release date, rotten tomato rating, imdb, trakt trending, trakt most watched etc. but this would just be a nice to have, i manly wrote about because of 1-3
1) This is possible by selecting "Any Services" in the advanced filter section.
2) Which specific page are you referring to? On the global views such as popular movies, that data is all shared between users which is why we currently support the fading option and not a true hide. This is for caching purposes.
3) I'll need to think about the UI to support this and make it clear to the user how to apply that. It works via the direct URL parameters though by adding a - before any genres you want to exclude, such as genres=comedy,-family
4) Which specific page or section are you referring to?